A Member Since 1990
Otago Polytechnic has been a member of Business South since 1990 (Otago Chamber of Commerce), and sustainability is a huge part of who they are.
Otago Polytech is committed to minimising their environmental impact and encouraging others to embrace sustainable practices. Here are a couple of their achievements to date:
- the first NZ tertiary institution to join the Climate Leaders Coalition
- measure their greenhouse gas emissions and publicly report on them
- set a public emissions reduction target consistent with keeping within 2 degrees of warming and have committed to being carbon neutral by 2030
- committed to 100% of their undergraduate programmes directly addressing issues of sustainable practice
- living campus gardens
- Pōpopo Wormporium
- the conversion of coal-fired boilers to wood-fired ones which radically reduced emissions
- Te Pā Tauira and the award-winning green building erected for student living, this being highly efficient on energy use and built using the most sustainable materials
- Under construction now is another major piece of building infrastructure following the above principles.